Monday, September 23, 2013

Fall chores starting early


The days are getting shorter, the shadows longer and the nights a bit cooler. I chose today to bring in all the orchids and bonsai Ficus. This year I did something a bit different and I'm glad I did.

Last year I just brought them in and put them in their wintering spots around the house. Unfortunately I also brought in some hitchhikers. There were ants, slugs and spiders taking leave of their summer homes and wandering all over the house. We woke up one morning to silvery trails all over the living room, over the floor, the couch and the pillows!

cleaned and ready for the inside
This morning I brought out my screen I made for screening dirt, and emptied each orchid pot, sifting, making sure there weren't any hangers on. I did find a spider or two in the leaves and one of the pots had 3 slugs living in the bottom under the roots. I washed them all and re-potted them with cleaned orchid bark and I added some sphagnum moss to a couple of them.

Oncidium orchidaceae
I also noticed some good signs. My Oncidium orchidaceae (dancing ladies) has 3-4 new stalks and will be honoring us with beautiful flowers soon. Plus, one of the others has a lot of new leaves after having a hard year. So things are looking up.

new leaves are a good sign

No comments:

Post a Comment