Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in.

Acer Palmatum "Orange Dream"

This last week I was a happy guy. I had some decent weather on my days off, but as luck would have it, the best weather was on the days I was working. Still, I was able to get some things done around the yard, plant some new specimens and even perform the first mowing.

Pear blossoms at sunset

Now this. Freeze warnings for tonight and the next couple of nights. Are you kidding me?! I thought, well, hoped, beyond all hope, that we were past this cold weather. You see, I hate cold weather. With a passion. I don't mind a cooler season necessarily, I just don't like freezing temps. Especially now. All of our Japanese maples are leafed out. Some leaves are still very young and tender. These, I am worried about. The hostas have just emerged. The tulips have been beautiful, but they are about spent. I'm mainly worried about the 16 unique specimen Japanese Maples we have around the yard.

Viburnum
We pride ourselves on finding the best version of each specimen and really look out for unique hybrids or new ones. Yesterday we picked up a real beauty called "Orange Dream". I'm not sure why it is called this as it is more yellow/chartreuse than orange, but its foliage is bright and different and will look nice as a trio of JMs, one red and the other with lacy green leaves.

But what is a gardener supposed to do? I guess I could go to the store, purchase massive amounts of plastic on rolls, wrap each tree and hope that that works. But then I have just created landfill waste that will last a millennia. I guess I'll just let ol' MN handle it. It is she, that is throwing us these curve balls by the way. The brutal winter we had, this late, late cold snap, and yes, I did find those damned Canker Worms on some of the trees last evening.

You've got to be kidding me.

No comments:

Post a Comment