Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Azaleas in bloom and other stuff



I love spring. I love spring. Have I ever told you I love spring? Shaking off the cold, watching all of the plants that I lovingly dote on all the rest of the year finally come to life. I love spring. I like to watch the insects mingle with the plants. I will have to say that they are late in coming due to the cold, although I have seen a few bees around, but not many. I will also say that I loath, absolutely abhor these god damned Cankerworms. They are trying my patience. Here I am, trying to be a good earth inhabitant, not using any pesticides and here come along the killjoys to the party. They are wreaking havoc on my favorite plants. I'm most worried about my newly planted Japanese maples I told you about in the fall. They got to one before it even leafed out, ate all the buds! So I hope that it will survive. I gave it a boost of Superthrive today. Great stuff. Vitamins for your plants! I use it after every repotting of my bonsai or houseplants.



The rest of the garden is coming along quite nicely. We have expanded some beds, moved some stuff around, and I am quite sure, I will be moving more stuff around in the near future. We found some beautiful yellow Azaleas at, of all places, Home Depot. HD usually lacks in the variety of other stores, but this year they have some good stuff. The yellow azalea is called Admiral Semmes and is quite nice and bright yellow. Pair that with the knockout color of our orange azaleas and I think we are on to something! You see, we are not too keen on the average, red, white, pink or fuchsia azaleas. They are everywhere. Especially around here. That is why we are so excited about these. They are absolutely beautiful. I don't know what the name is of the orange azalea. A couple of years ago we had purchased some, what we were told, yellow azaleas. But for the last couple of years they are more of a mix. The third pic below is that one, for right now I'm going to call Creamsicle.

Admiral Semmes Azalea



Orange Azalea


Creamsicle


I can't express to you how bright these orange ones are. The camera just can't capture it. This is the first spring in their new home. We moved them late spring last year and I think they like it. I think they also like not being pee'd on by the neighbors dogs twice a day. I know I would.

1 comment: